Saturday, August 26, 2017
A terror suspect drove at police outside Buckingham Palace and yelled 'Allahu akbar' while reaching for a 4ft sword before he was arrested by three unarmed officers.
The 26-year-old from Luton was wrestled to the ground and incapacitated with CS gas by the officers, two of which suffered injuries, at about 8.30pm last night.
Metropolitan Police said the suspect had been arrested under the Terrorism Act and was currently in custody in a central London police station.
The force revealed how the man had deliberately driven at a police van parked near the Mall roundabout in front of the palace, before stopping in front of the vehicle.
As three unarmed PCs exited the van and approached the blue Toyota Prius, the suspect reached for a 4ft sword in the footwell.
Following a struggle, the suspect and two officers were taken to hospital to be treated for minor injuries, while the third officer did not require treatment.
Commander Dean Haydon, the head of the Met's Counter Terrorism Command, said: 'I would like to pay tribute to the bravery and professionalism of these officers who quickly brought this incident under control.
'Their vigilance, courage and the swiftness of their response demonstrates how our officers are protecting the public at this time.
'Officers from the Counter Terrorism Command are now investigating and searches are being carried out in the Luton area today.
'We believe the man was acting alone and we are not looking for other suspects at this stage.
'While we cannot speculate on what the man was intending to do - this will be determined during the course of the investigation - it is only right that we investigate this as a terrorist incident at this time.
'I would urge anybody who witnessed the incident or has any information or images that may assist the investigation to contact the confidential hotline on 0800 789 321.'
Commander Haydon added: 'This is a timely reminder that the threat from terrorism in the UK remains severe.
'The police, together with the security services, are doing everything we can to protect the public and we already have an enhanced policing plan over the Bank Holiday weekend to keep the public safe.'
It's been alleged by our source within TfL, that the registration of the Prius was removed from the TfL licence checker web site, within minutes of the attack.
But with 120,000 TfL licensed Prius' driving round London, parking wherever they please unchecked, TfL have handed the terrorists anonymity. They don't even need to go through the process of becoming a Private Hire driver, they just turn up with the money and buy rent a registered Prius.
The knife man has now been named in the press as Mohiussunnath Chowdhury.
This name is listed on the TfL Website as a licensed Private Hire Driver.
As we've said before on Taxi Leaks:
How long before we see this happening in Central London ?
Friday, August 25, 2017
Thursday, August 24, 2017
Great news for cleaner air for London campaigners. Transport For London have confirmed that their Bus Staff will be striking over the bank holiday weekend.
Last time London buses went on strike the air pollution registered in central London fell by 50%.
This below from The Telegraph.
Londoners' bank holiday plans are due to be severely disrupted as Transport for London confirm their staff will be on strike over Sunday 27 and Monday 28 August.
The strike will see over 400 Unite members walk out, including staff responsible for re-routing buses due to major events, roadworks and accidents. With major festivals like Notting Hill Carnival and Clapham's SW4 taking place over the three-day weekend, travel chaos could erupt across the capital.
Bus station controllers, network traffic controllers, revenue protection inspectors, infrastructure controllers and road transport enforcement officers involved will begin their walk-out at 00:01 on Sunday, with the strike expected to last 48 hours.
A Transport for London licensed private hire driver who was operating in Luton has been prosecuted by Luton Borough Council licensing service.
On 15 August at Luton Magistrates Court, Mohammed Baho of Wimbourne Road, Luton pleaded guilty to two separate offences of Touting for Hire and No Insurance at London Luton Airport on 26 October 2016 and 5 December 2016, where he picked up passengers from the Drop off/Pick up zone of the airport, that had not been booked through an operator.
Both Hackney Carriage and Private Hire drivers are only allowed to pick up passengers from the airport that have been pre-booked.
For the offence of Touting for Hire on 21 October 2016, the magistrates disqualified Mr Baho from driving for 6 months, and imposed a Band C fine of £245 based on his weekly income.
For the offence of No Insurance on 21 October 2016, he was given 6 points on his licence, but there was no separate penalty fine.
For the offence on 5 December 2016 of Touting for Hire, Mr Baho was disqualified for 12 months from driving and a band C fine of £245 was imposed, based on his weekly income. For the offence of No Insurance, his licence was endorsed with a further 6 points and he was ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £30 plus costs £600.
The total fine imposed was £1,120.
Mr Baho was informed that he now had a total of 18 points on his licence (including previous points), which therefore disqualified him from driving for a minimum period of 12 months.
Mr Baho was told that if he drives, he will commit a serious offence and would face further prosecution.
He will be required to apply to the DVLA for new licence at the end of the disqualification period, as his current licence no longer valid.
Mr Baho offered to pay £100 a month towards his fine and total costs, with the first payment to start on September 1.
Service Director for Public Protection at Luton Borough Council, Sarah Hall, said “The licensing service actively works to protect the safety of customers and supports legitimate and local businesses.
“This enforcement operation found a Transport for London driver operating illegally at London Luton Airport with no insurance and no bookings, therefore putting the public at significant risk and this was reflected in the Magistrates decision
Click link to watch video from Dave
Wednesday, August 23, 2017
Not withstanding the fact of how enjoyable the experience was.... it really is a nice place to casually eat with a huge indoor oblong area of food vendors of every variery but one massive point to make.... 95% of them had Signs on their counter stating either "Sorry no credit cards" or "No credit cards today" or "Minimum card Payment is £10"
Every one of these vendors are Licensed in one way or another by a variety of bodies such as Local Authority food standards or council registration, Just as every Public house in the country must have Licensing, but not single one suffers the licensing cajolery or inveiglement we all do as self employed business's can you imagine how any interference or threats of closure by any authority would be met by Mandatory compulsions? I have always asked the question as to what the hell it has to do with TFL.
TFL has third party unpaid advertising in my cab against my wishes, and whilst I truly feel Card payments are a benefit these days, normal and fair minimum spend limits should apply by the vendor (me) to reduce the time and clear abuse taken by passengers who try & retry a variety of cards for amounts less than £5 which effectively takes longer than the journey time took and causes delays for surrounding traffic and road users and refusal to accept card payments from inebriated persons who find it too difficult to operate card machines.
TFL should make it public information as to who they use for cashless card processing and how much they are charged in % terms for their business?
We are in the situation we are in because TFL have forcibly compelled taxis to accept Card Payment, We should have the same rates access to the usage criteria TFL has as It is absolutely certain there are huge variations between Oxford Circus's takings which clearly are a universe away from Fairlop Station's takings and which both Stations are on the same Central line System.
As to why trade bodies allowed so much ambiguity into taxi Card processing procedures is a serious concern, but to now find companies coercing drivers into unfair contractual obligations or withdrawing leaving vehicles non compliant is nothing short of a scandal and reminds me of the Van AAken take the money and run debacle of years gone by and which yet again only goes to show how under the auspices of TFL big business's can steam roller the London Taxi Trade and freely escape leaving us to count costs.
greenbadgejohn (on twitter)