CITY OF WESTMINSTER TAXI RANKS (VARIOUS LOCATIONS)
1. NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that Westminster City Council proposes to make the following Orders under sections 6, 45, 46, 49 and 124 of and Part IV of Schedule 9 to the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 as amended:
2. The general effect of the Orders would be to provide taxi rank facilities and revise existing parking controls, as follows:
(a) Burlington Gardens, to extend the existing “at any time” taxi rank opposite Nos. 3 to 5 from 8 metres to 10 metres (the adjacent diplomatic parking bay and residents’ parking spaces would be moved eastward by 2 metres);
(b) Charlotte Street, to introduce two “at any time” taxi ranks outside the Charlotte Street Hotel (to replace 10 metres of single yellow line waiting restrictions);
(c) Dover Street, to relocate 10 metres of the existing “at any time” taxi rank outside Nos. 5 to 7 to outside the Arts Club at No. 40 Dover Street (to replace 10 metres of double yellow line “at any time” waiting restrictions);
(d) Frith Street, to introduce three taxi ranks (15 metres) outside Nos. 18 and 19, to replace 15 metres of double yellow line “at any time” waiting restrictions. The ranks would operate between 6.30 p.m. and 6.30 a.m. and waiting restrictions would apply outside those hours;
(e) Hamilton Place / Piccadilly
(i) to introduce two “at any time” taxi ranks in Hamilton Place outside No. 138
(ii) to relocate the pay-by-phone parking bay outside No. 138 Piccadilly to
outside No. 140 Piccadilly;
(iii) to replace the existing lengths of single yellow line waiting restrictions on
the north side of Hamilton Place with double yellow line “at any time” waiting restrictions;
(f) Harewood Avenue / Great Central Place
(i) to introduce an “at any time” feeder rank (25 metres) outside BNP Paribas
Harewood Avenue (to replace three pay-by-phone bays and a length of “at
any time” waiting restrictions);
(ii) to introduce an “at any time” feeder rank (30 metres) in the centre of the
carriageway of Harewood Avenue opposite Blandford Square;
(iii) to relocate the three pay-by-phone bays referred to in paragraph (f)(i) above to Great Central Street (to replace 6 metres of the bus stop clearway on the east side (south of Melcombe Place) and 9 metres of double yellow line “at any time” waiting restrictions;
(g) Wardour Street, to extend the existing “at any time” taxi rank outside the W Hotel at No. 40 Wardour Street by 10 metres north-westward (to replace a length of “at any time” waiting and loading restrictions).
3. The proposed Orders and other documents giving more detailed particulars of the Orders are available for inspection until six weeks have elapsed from the date on which either the Orders are made or the Council decides not to make the Orders between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Mondays to Fridays inclusive at WSP, Palace Gardens Suite, 27th Floor, Portland House, Bressenden Place, London, SW1E 5RS.
4. Further information may be obtained by telephoning the Council’s agents, WSP, telephone number (020) 3116 5998. Details are also available at https://is.gd/NqacaS.
5. Any objections or other representations about the proposals should be sent in writing to the Council’s agents, WSP, Palace Gardens Suite, 27th Floor, Portland House, Bressenden Place, London, SW1E 5RS, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference 7330/SD, by 11th August 2017. All objections must specify the grounds on which they are made.
Dated 21st July 2017
Head of Road Management
(The officer appointed for this purpose)
Statement of Reasons
The introduction of taxi ranks in Charlotte Street, Frith Street, Harewood Avenue and Hamilton Place/ Piccadilly, the extension of the taxi ranks in Burlington Gardens, Wardour Street and the relocation of the taxi rank in Dover Street are considered necessary to provide additional taxi rank facilities at locations where there is an identified demand.
The introduction of the pay-by-phone parking bays in Great Central Street will ensure that there is no overall loss of parking bays in the area following the introduction of a taxi rank in Harewood Avenue.
The introduction of double yellow line “at any time” waiting restrictions in Dover Street and Piccadilly are necessary to prevent obstructive parking.