Monday, March 13, 2017

Email from Steve Garelick of the GMB to TfL, concerning the Sean Stocking incident

Email from Steve Garelick of the GMB to TfL 


I am driven to write to yourselves based on the decision to revoke Sean Stockings license.
 
Whilst Sean is not a member of the GMB I am concerned that this matter is not seen as localised.
 
Notably I cannot agree with certain aspects of the reasoning behind this matter.
 
Firstly, my concerns about comments on Twitter the reality is there is a feeling of helplessness that many drivers are experiencing as a result of work they imagined would provide them with income for their working life.
 
A series of decisions some internal some unavoidable has led to many using social media for their only avenue to vent frustration and to ask questions which may be unpalatable.
 
This may not sit well as derogatory however based on my yet as unanswered email to Peter Blake from earlier this year is it any wonder that drivers feel this way.
 
Being blunt my email was an attack on Peters management of the spaces situation which theoretically could garner a similar response?
 
Turning to the aspect of Leon Daniels firstly a restaurant is not a private institution in fact a restaurant is as public as it gets.
 
I have to expect when in social situations that drivers will want to engage with me as this is part and parcel of public engagement.
 
I noted the unease and aplomb of Mr. Daniels but bluntly knowing he wrote to Uber to discuss ideas for their operation does not endear him to me as his role is of a licensing authority official and not a business adviser.
 
Mr Stockings has to my knowledge no complaints about his behaviour or demeanour in carrying out his working role and I think this does clearly then question the reasoning behind this revocation.
 
Is there any chance the public are either at risk or that when carrying passengers is there a chance that professionalism of a London taxi driver and ex-serviceman would be transformed?
 
In my opinion this is not only unlikely but a weak hypothesis.
 
I would request this is reconsidered as a matter of urgency and that moving down the path of further rebuttal and angst from the taxi trade a reassessment of this matter is given earnest reflexion.
 
Steve Garelick
Branch Secretary Professional Drivers G56