Friday, March 31, 2017
Thursday, March 30, 2017
The City watchdog has told High Street banks not to force customers to use contactless cards amid growing fears about fraud.
Do you think TfL are listening ..... Don't hold your breath.
CONTACTLESS CARD FRAUD, ITS WHAT THE PUBLIC WANTS!
MPs have put pressure on the Financial Conduct Authority to close a security loophole which allows criminals to make ‘tap and go’ payments on contactless cards months after they have been cancelled.
The Commons Treasury select committee accused banks of placing customers in an ‘unacceptable situation’ of being vulnerable to fraud despite reporting their card lost or stolen.
High Street banks have been warned not to force customers to use contactless cards
In a letter written to the committee and published today, the chairman of the Financial Conduct Authority, John Griffith-Jones, said the regulator is already working with banks to provide more protection for customers.
He said measures being looked at include ‘removing any onus on customers to identify fraudulent transactions’, and working on bolstering banks’ systems to ‘reduce the likelihood of post-cancellation fraud’.
He added that banks could also make the option of having a non-contactless card ‘more visible’ if a customer is concerned about the security risks.
Banks typically issue contactless cards automatically when a card expires, or is lost or stolen, unless instructed otherwise. However, Barclaycard, Royal Bank of Scotland and NatWest only offer contactless cards, while Santander says customers can opt out of receiving a contactless card when they first apply.
The security fears of contactless cards have increased as their popularity has soared. There are 101.8million in circulation, with spending more than tripling to £25billion last year. Their security flaw stems from the fact that contactless payments are automatically approved without the till connecting to the customer’s bank to check a card is valid.
This means that it can still be used to make contactless payments months after it has been cancelled
This is the notice TfL insist we stick on our partition window
This one, TfL will revoke your Licence for displaying.
Criminals are able to make ‘tap and go’ payments on contactless cards months after they have been cancelled
The problem is compounded because most banks do not tell their customers when their cancelled card is used, relying on people trawling through statements to identify fraudulent payments before they can receive a refund.
In a statement issued earlier today, the committee chairman Andrew Tyrie said it was ‘unreasonable’ to expect customers to ‘comb through their bank statements months after they have instructed their banks to block their lost or stolen cards’. He said the FCA needed to ‘sort this out’.
Richard Koch of The UK Cards Association said: ‘The industry is not complacent and measures to address issues affecting a small number of contactless cards will be implemented by the end of June.’
A Barclaycard spokesman said: ‘Barclaycard does not offer non-contactless credit cards as we believe contactless payments are integral to ensuring our customers are able to pay conveniently, securely and quickly for small value items if they choose to use this function.
‘If a customer’s card is lost or stolen they are always protected against any fraudulent activity.’
This is the sticker that should be displayed in every minicab throughout London.
Wednesday, March 29, 2017
Use this link below to donate
Thea Gaillard, 24, claims the driver was initially "really nice and polite" - but cancelled as soon as he saw her partner
Thea says although her husband, 27, was calm about the situation, she complained to Uber - and received an "impersonal" response.
An Uber spokesperson told Mirror Online the firm "does not tolerate any form of discrimination from riders or licensed drivers".
They added that the driver says he waited for Thea and Jeremiah to exit the station but "eventually had to cancel the trip as he was causing an obstruction".
However, Thea said: "It seems obvious to me that he was very racist.
"There really could be no other explanation for why he would just drive off like that.
"I requested an Uber as soon as we got off the coach and he gave me a call straight away to find out where I was.
"When I came outside and he spotted me, he was really nice to me [as he remained on the phone] - very lovely. There was no problem.
"My husband had all the suitcases and was lagging behind me, but he eventually came out and handed me one of them.
"He sounded completely nice on the phone but it was when he saw my husband.
"[Jeremiah] is a tall black man. I don't know if the driver felt threatened.
"My husband works with elderly people and a team leader at a care home. He's the sweetest, most gentle person ever.
"I don't understand how we can allow these racist stereotypes to be perpetuated.
"When you are a biracial couple you see a lot of people who still have a problem, but it's still one of those things you don't expect to see in modern-day England."
The couple, from Leicester, were in a rush to get to the airport after the minicab driver allegedly drove off without them.
They ended up ordering another car via the app.
Thea said: "The next minicab was also an Uber.
"The driver didn't seem very surprised when we told him what happened.
"The new driver was a young Arabic man and he seemed unfazed by it.
"I'm just really disgusted. It's so messed up but Jeremiah is just used to it. We're both utterly baffled.
"We live in Leicester and it's a very multicultural community - I'm not sure what Manchester is like but I wouldn't have expected this to happen."
When Thea contacted Uber to complain about her experience, she claims she received a standard 'impersonal' response.
Thea said: "Uber sent a reply to my complaint which was really impersonal and you can see that they haven't actually read it properly.
"It said: 'thank you for your advice. We will take this into consideration when we are doing our next recruiting'.
"After that, they have messaged me saying that basically, because of driver security, they cannot disclose what will happen but they are going to investigate.
"I asked them when it is concluded, if will they let me know what happens but they said they can't do that either.
"They said the minicab driver was suspended whilst they carried out the investigation.
"I really want for Uber and the driver to take responsibility and would really like people be more aware that their actions have consequences and society needs to change."
A spokesperson for Uber told Mirror Online: "Uber does not tolerate any form of discrimination from riders or licensed drivers who our the app.
"We have spoken to this licensed driver who strongly denies these claims.
"He has told us that he waited for the passengers to exit the station but eventually had to cancel the trip as he was causing an obstruction."
Downing Street spokesman insists that any suggestion of an #Ubergate cover-up is "categorically untrue"....... By Dave Davies
This email will be sent to your MP.
Tuesday, March 28, 2017
Remember David Cameron, the failed Prime Minister of Great Britain who slunk away from public life last year amid the chaos of Brexit? The man who will be remembered for being, among other things, the utter git who reportedly decided to hold the Brexit vote in a Chicago airport pizza restaurant? Well, he’s in the news again: The Financial Timesreports that he encouraged the mayor of London to drop proposed regulations against Uber.
According to the Times, in 2015, alleged pork fan Cameron and then-chancellor George Osborne had “conversations,” primarily in the form of text messages, with then-London mayor Boris Johnson. The chats apparently concerned measures introduced by Johnson that would have shored up the taxi industry’s fight against Uber; Cameron and Osborne allegedly encouraged Johnson to, uh, rethink the proposals. In 2016, some rules were indeed dropped; one rule would have seen Uber customers wait five minutes between requesting a ride and beginning a journey. (Others, including imposing English language tests on both Uber drivers and regular cab drivers, survived.)
The kicker, as the Times suggests, is that Cameron’s reported advocacy on behalf of Uber is even more suspect given his close ties to the company. His former strategy chief, Steve Hilton, is married to Rachel Whetstone, who does communications and public policy for Uber. Whetstone was hired at Uber in May 2015; the reported texts from Cameron were sent in late 2015, according to the Times.
The Times quotes an unnamed City Hall official who said that the alleged conversations included “making arguments about free markets and competition.” (Sounds riveting!) News of the texts was first reported by the Daily Mail, who filed a Freedom of Information request for the communications.
When asked about Cameron’s involvement, an Uber spokesperson wouldn’t say much, and instead sent Gizmodo a statement criticizing the rules Cameron supposedly argued against. A request for comment to 10 Downing Street wasn’t immediately returned, but we’ll update if we hear back.
Of course, for a man who still receives almost daily tweets calling him a “pig f@@@er” or saying he got “a blowy from a pig,” things surely can’t get much worse.
Source : Gizmodo
Memo from Leon Daniels said:
I am sad to announce that Garrett Emmerson, Chief Operating Officer for Surface Transport, will be leaving us.
After nearly eight years in the role of Chief Operating Officer for Surface Transport (and before that, as TfL’s Director of Strategy & Policy), I am sad to announce that Garrett Emmerson has decided the time is right for him to move on from TfL and seek new career opportunities and challenges elsewhere.....
Meanwhile on a train to Brussels Mayor Sadiq Khan was interviewed by LBC, in the light of the story which has been breaking in the Daily Mail and Financial Times, concerning Downing Street leaning on the previous Mayor Boris Johnson, to go easy on the San Francisco based minicab booking app, even though they didn't meet the strict regulations other minicab operators have had to meet.
The saga continues and is far from over as rumours abound that a second high profile member of TfL has also resigned....more news as and when it becomes confirmed.
Who will be next ?
It's Getting Serious... Financial times Also Carrying The Ongoing Saga Of #Ubergate... By Jim Thomas
Read more: >CLICK HERE FOR ARTICLE<
Use this link below to donate