Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Detectives appeal for information a week after the murder of Fusilier Lee Rigby

Detectives investigating the murder of Fusilier Lee Rigby exactly a week ago are in Woolwich this afternoon, Wednesday, 29 May 2013, to appeal for information and identify witnesses who may not yet have come forward.

Officers from the MPS Counter Terrorism Command, Greenwich borough and Safer Transport Team, are handing out leaflets and talking to pedestrians, motorists and bus passengers.

The Met and the Security Service continue to work tirelessly and painstakingly to uncover the full circumstances relating to this attack.

We would like to thank the public for their support so far in coming forward with information.

Mr Rigby was walking to the Royal Artillery Barracks in Artillery Place, near to the junction with John Wilson Street, SE18, when he was struck by a blue Vauxhall Tigra registration number N696 JWX. He was then attacked by two men. 

Police want to hear from anyone who may have seen the blue Vauxhall Tigra in the area or witnessed 25-year-old Mr Rigby being attacked at about 14:20hrs.

Officers are also urging anyone who knows the two men who carried out the attack and may have information which may be useful to call the confidential Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321.

Anyone who filmed or took photos of the incident are also asked to send the moving or still images to police via - please include your name and contact details, which will be treated in strict confidence. Anyone who may have such material is asked not to delete it after sending it in. 

The inquest on Mr Rigby will open at Southwark Coroner's Court, 1 Tennis Street, SE1 1YD, at 0900hrs on Friday, 31 May. A post mortem established that the cause of death was from multiple incised wounds.

Yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon a 22-year-old man [A] arrested on 22 May on suspicion of the murder of Lee Rigby was discharged from hospital. He was taken into custody at a south London police station where he remains. 

On arrival at the police station he was further arrested on the suspicion of the attempted murder of a police officer. 

He remains in custody and will be interviewed by detectives from the Metropolitan Police Service Counter Terrorism Command.

A 28-year-old man [B] arrested on suspicion of murder under PACE remains in a London hospital.

No comments: